These delicious Greek Butter Cookies are made with a few simple ingredients and make a great treat with a cup of coffee or tea. And they also make a nice addition to your Christmas baking tradition.
These Greek Butter Cookies are jam-packed with incredible butter flavor. And only slightly sweetened with a dusting of powdered sugar.
They have long been a family tradition passed down from my Greek grandmother. I have fond memories of her teaching us how to shape the cookies just so. And lessons of re-shaping the cookies until her precise standards were meant.
More Delicious Recipes:
Tips for Making Excellent Cookies
A stand mixer comes in handy for this recipe. They aren’t overly complicated. However, there is a lot of mixing of melted butter and it takes a bit of time.
Or you can do as my parents did and give this task to the kids so they can learn to make these cookies. It was tedious as a child, but I learned lessons in patience and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time in the kitchen with the adults.
Following the steps is important. From beating the butter and shaping the cookies properly. It all aids in the proper texture of the cookie, which is what gives these cookies their incredible taste.
Melted butter is used in this recipe instead of softened butter because it coats the flour and creates a nice soft & chewy cookie.
I recommend using a tablespoon size measuring spoon for scooping out the cookies. This will help ensure all of the cookies are consistent in size and baking time.
How-to Make Greek Butter Cookies
Shape these cookies by rolling the dough with your hands until a ball forms. Gently press down and shape into an egg shape.
Add the cookies to the parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake until lightly golden brown.
- Melt the entire pound of butter and then pour the melted butter into the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Beat melted butter in stand mixer for 20 minutes.
- Add in egg yolk and mix for another 10 minutes.
- About this time is when you should pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, mix in the vanilla extract to the butter & egg yolk.
- Slowly incorporate the flour to the butter mixture.
- Shape the Greek butter cookies by measuring them out with a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon. And then roll this cookie dough with your hands until a ball forms.
- Gently pat the cookie and shape it until it forms an egg shape.
- Lay out the cookies onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Add the cookies to the oven and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely and then sift just enough powdered sugar to lightly coat over the top of a platter. Add the cookies to the top of this platter and then sift more powdered sugar to the cookies just to lightly dust them.
- Serve and enjoy! These cookies pair really nicely with coffee, tea, and milk!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Norpro 3-Cup Stainless Steel Rotary Hand Crank Flour Sifter With 2 Wire Agitator
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., Organic Powdered Confectioners Sugar, 16 oz (454 g) - 2pcs
- Pure Vanilla Extract, Certified Organic
- Jovial Flour ,General Purpose (Organic Einkorn Flour 32 Oz) ( Pack of 1)
- IF YOU CARE FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft
- Good Cook 13 Inch x 9 Inch Cookie Sheet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 147mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g