This recipe for an easy keto chicken caprese makes a great weeknight meal. It is simple to make and it is Keto friendly. And is full of delicious Italian caprese flavors!
Plus, it is simply made in one-pot. I’m always a fan of less dishes and less clean up time!
Melty cheese over the top of juicy chicken breasts, this chicken caprese recipe is sure to become a new family favorite!
Olive & Artichoke may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. View our disclosure policy for details.
This Keto Caprese Chicken is a fancy low carb dinner idea that is perfect for special occasions, but also easy enough for weeknights!
This is one of my favorite keto meal prep recipes that I’ll make ahead and enjoy a couple of times during the week.
It is a Keto recipe which is perfect for me, as I’m following along with that plan. And it also works well for my non Keto family.
I paired my portion with some zucchini noodles (zoodles) and my family enjoyed theirs with butter pasta. And we all had fresh salads. It was a great easy dinner!
I was recently sent a copy of the cookbook “Weeknight Keto” to review. All opinions and images in this post are my own. Reprinted with permission from Weeknight Keto by Kristy Bernardo, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019.
The Weeknight Keto is a great cookbook to have in your home kitchen! From a variety of recipes for satisfying those sweet cravings to carb comfort foods made Keto.
And a huge variety of quick & easy, budget friendly Keto Dishes.
This post has been updated from its original publish date of February 6, 2020. It has been updated to provide better photos, additional helpful information and step by step instructions.
This recipe is really simple and doesn’t require anything super complicated. Here’s what you’ll need:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts — can substitute for chicken thighs if desired
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- cherry tomatoes
- basil pesto — either homemade or store bought work
- whole milk fresh mozzarella cheese ball
- fresh basil leaves
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Season the chicken with salt & pepper.
Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the olive oil. When it has warmed up, add the chicken breasts.
Brown the chicken well on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, then remove the pan from the heat.
Drizzle the tomatoes and garlic with the remaining olive oil, then add them to the skillet.
Top each chicken breast with a tablespoon of pesto, then a slice of mozzarella.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their shells into the skillet.
Sprinkle the chicken with the basil leaves and serve while warm.
How to store and reheat leftover chicken caprese
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Heat up in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
This makes an excellent meal prep recipe for a week of keto lunches!
Want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead kitchen!
Skillet Chicken Caprese
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved if large
- 1 head garlic outer paper removed and cloves separated but not peeled
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 8 ounce whole milk mozzarella ball
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Season the chicken with salt & pepper.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. When it’s shimmering, add the chicken breasts.
- Brown the chicken well on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Drizzle the tomatoes and garlic with the remaining olive oil, then add them to the skillet.
- Top each chicken breast with a tablespoon of pesto, then a slice of mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their shells into the skillet. Sprinkle the chicken with the basil leaves and serve.
This cookbook has 75 delicious Keto recipes. So many yummy recipes…like:
- Salmon Cakes with Lemon-Dijon Aioli
- Bacon Jam Cheeseburgers
- Creamy Tarragon Chicken & Asparagus
- Twice-Baked Mashed Parmesan Cauliflower
- Stuffed Zucchini with Goat Cheese & Marinara
- Chocolate Mousse
- Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries
- Many Pantry Staples
- And so much more…
I highly recommend this cookbook if you are on a Low Carb / Keto diet. Or for anyone who is looking for quick and easy weeknight meals.
The recipes, like this Chicken Skillet Caprese that I’m sharing in this post, are fantastic.