This Greek Bean Soup is a simple take on the traditional Fasolada recipe. Full of savory flavors from onions, garlic, and good quality olive oil. A delicious one-pot soup that simmers slowly for warming weeknight meal.
With a few simple ingredients, you can have a hearty and healthy dinner on the table in under 45 minutes.
More easy dinner ideas:
Greek Bean Soup (Fasolada)
This recipe is my take on the traditional Greek staple. I’ve made a few variations to give the recipe delicious flavor.
Traditionally a Fasolada is made with dry white beans. In my version, I simplified the recipe by using canned cannelloni beans.
I like my soups to be thick and hearty. However, if you prefer more liquid you can add a little more broth and even skip one can of beans.
And this soup can be vegan friendly by using vegetable broth.
Since olive oil is a main flavor component of this dish, I highly recommend using a good high quality version. My favorite is Wild Groves.
How to Store Leftover Fasolada
This soup stores in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. And it makes a great lunch for the next day!
It does thicken up quite a bit when storing in the fridge. To thin out the soup, stir in a bit of broth while heating up.
To heat up, take your portion and warm up over stove top slowly, until it is warmed through.
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 18 oz jar crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 4 cans cannellini or northern beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Primal Palate Super Gyro seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- In large stock pot, heat up olive oil over medium heat.
- Cut up the onions into half moon shapes. Slice up the carrots and celery, and mince the garlic. Add all veggies to the stock pot and cook until soft.
- Stir in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Drain the cans of beans and add to the stock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stir and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer for about 30-40 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 789mg Carbohydrates: 66g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 18g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 23g