Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
Whether you need a chocolatey dessert or a tasty treat, this dark chocolate banana bread makes a perfect addition to the menu.
When you get a craving for something sweet at breakfast time, this sweet bread definitely hits the spot. It’s moist, dense, and full of flavor.
Olive & Artichoke may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. View our disclosure policy for details.
Dark Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Chocolate and banana go great together…and this recipe proves it. It’s one of the more healthier, moist, and decadent banana bread recipes out there. Dark chocolate makes it even better.
We love this banana bread because it’s super easy to make and solves those chocolate & comfort food cravings!
There is nothing wrong with taking a traditional recipe and perfecting it with a healthy twist. That is exactly what we did with this whole wheat banana bread recipe.
Switching up the flour and adding a bit of dark chocolate makes this ultra-moist favorite a must try recipe.
This version is made healthier by using whole wheat flour and less sugars, swapping out a portion of sugar with coconut sugar. So you can feel good about enjoying this as a sweet snack.
Create a delicious loaf of dark chocolate banana bread using only a few ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- sea salt
- ripe bananas
- vegetable oil – we prefer to use a healthy vegetable oil like olive oil, avocado oil, or melted coconut oil
- light brown sugar
- coconut sugar
- large egg
- pure vanilla extract
- small dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 9×5 loaf pan
- coconut cooking spray
- parchment paper
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- large and small mixing bowls
- measuring spoons in various sizes
- measuring cups in various sizes
- wire cooling rack
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt and set aside.
In a stand mixer bowl add 4 bananas and mash bananas well using the paddle attachment.
Add the oil, light brown sugar, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla, mix together for 1 minute.
Slowly stir in the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, then fold in the dark chocolate chips/chunks. You can stir in the chocolate pieces to the batter by hand if desired.
Pour the batter to the prepared loaf pan, garnish with any additional chocolate chips/chunks, and bake in the preheated oven.
Remove when a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean
Cool on a wire rack in the pan until it feels room temperature, and the bottom of the pan is safe to touch, before removing.
How to store leftover banana bread
Store in an airtight container at room temperature on counter top for about 4 days. Storing it in the refrigerator can dry it out.
More favorite dessert recipes
Here’s a few of our favorite dessert recipes that we think you’ll love too!
FAQ (frequently asked questions)
Once the bread is completely cooled, place it in an airtight container and it should keep for around 4-5 days. You can also freeze the banana bread! Wrap it in some aluminum foil, put it in a freezer bag and store it in the freezer.
Check on the bread about 5 minutes before the timer is up. The bread should be golden brown on top. Use a toothpick and insert it in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean, your loaf is done!
The key to a good moist banana bread, is proper flour to banana ratio. Using too much flour will dry out the bread. And since it is a cake texture, you’ll want to store it at room temperature in an airtight container. Not covering it tightly or storing it in the refrigerator will help dry it out quicker.
Want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead kitchen!
Moist Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
- Bread Pan 9×5
- Mixing Bowls both small and large
- 1 ⅓ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil use olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil for healthier options
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup small dark chocolate chips or chunks more as desired
- Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F, and ensure the rack is in the middle of the oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl add 4 ripe bananas and mash well using the paddle attachment.
- Combine the oil, light brown sugar, coconut sugar, large egg, and vanilla with the banana mixture. Mix for 1 minute.
- Slowly mix in flour mixture, then dark chocolate chips/chunks. You can mix them in by hand if desired.
- Add the batter to the loaf pan, garnish with any additional chocolate chips/chunks, and bake for 50 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan until it feels room temperature, and the bottom of the pan is safe to touch, before removing.