Creamy Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
This creamy Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is a perfect comforting recipe. It is ready in under 30 minutes, making it a great weeknight meal. Made with yummy Italian sausage and parmesan cheese, its definitely not lacking in flavor!
This post has been updated from its original publish date of December 9, 2019. It has been updated to provide better photos, additional helpful information and step by step instructions. Olive & Artichoke may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. View our disclosure policy for details.
- extra virgin olive oil
- medium onion
- celery stalk
- garlic cloves
- ground mild Italian sausage
- tomato paste
- chicken broth (homemade broth is an excellent option!)
- whole cherry tomatoes
- shredded Parmesan cheese – freshly shredded
- kale – use your favorite, ours is Tuscan kale
- package of 3 cheese tortellini
- heavy cream
When making this soup recipe, I recommend getting all ingredients prepared first. It will save time and make the recipe easier to cook.
It’s a simple recipe and comes together quickly. Begin by sautéing the veggies in olive oil. Then browning the Italian sausage.
You’ll slowly incorporate the
This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Store in an airtight container, we recommend a glass storage container.
To warm up, slowly heat up over low heat on the stove top.
Want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead kitchen!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion about 1/2 cup, chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 carrots sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese fresh
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 9 oz package of 3 cheese tortellini
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Prepare all the vegetables. Finely chop up 1/2 cup onion. Cut the celery stalk in half lengthwise and then chop into small pieces. Slice the carrots thinly. And chop up the garlic and kale.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions, celery, and carrots until soft and the onions start to become translucent. Stir in the garlic and sauté for about a minute.
- Add in the ground Italian sausage and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and chicken broth. Add the tomatoes and simmer just until the tomatoes begin to burst open. Add the salt.
- Add the kale and parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
- Gently add in the tortellini. Simmer on low according to package instructions, usually about 7 minutes or so. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve immediately.