If you love comfort food, this caramelized onion pasta is the perfect cozy pasta dish for you! It is slightly sweet from the caramelized onions and tangy from the addition of the gorgonzola cheese.
This comforting classic pasta is so delicious, it is sure to become a new family favorite.
This satisfying pasta dish is simple to make and is perfect for those weeknights when we are short on time! We can have dinner ready to go in under 30 minutes.
And if you’re in need of a quick, yet super scrumptious meal, this is for you!
More caramelized onion & gorgonzola recipes:
Caramelized Onion Pasta with Gorgonzola Recipe
The combination of caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese is out of this world – amazing! It all started with a craving for some cheesy comfort food.
Gorgonzola cheese is wonderful to cook with. It gives this sauce a little bit of tanginess. And it pairs so well with the slightly sweetness from the caramelized onions.
It gives a little bit of that salty sweet deliciousness that we sometimes crave.
What Type of Pasta to Use
For this recipe, I like a thicker pasta because we believe it adds to the comforting factor of this dish. A pasta like a penne, rigatoni, tagliatelle, or mafalda works well.
But feel free to use whatever pasta you have on hand or prefer.
Quick Steps to Making This Pasta Dish
- Begin by caramelizing the onions, set aside when done.
- Bring the pasta water to a boil. Don’t forget to salt the pasta water!
- Shred the parmigiano cheese – fresh is best.
- Use a fork to break off pieces of the gorgonzola cheese.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the cheese sauce.
- Put it all together. Serve & enjoy.
It’s incredibly simple to make. And oh so satisfying!
More Recipes You May Enjoy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup of freshly shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 pound pasta
- In a skillet, heat up the olive oil.
- Slice onions into thin (about 1/8 - 1/4 inches) pieces and add to the heated skillet.
- Saute the onions until browned, stirring frequently. It does take a little while to caramelize the onions. As they start to brown, you'll want to stir often to prevent burning and to brown the onions more evenly. You'll know that they are ready when they are soft and a nice golden brown.
- While the onions are cooking, start boiling pasta water. Don't forget to salt the pasta water. The rule of thumb that I follow for salting pasta water is to add about 1 tablespoon per 1 pound of pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add both the gorgonzola and parmigiano cheeses to the sauce pan. Stir in the milk. Stir the cheese mixture continuously until the cheese is completely melted.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it. Add the caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese sauce. Combine well with the pasta.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 128mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g