This easy to make cannoli filling makes a delicious dessert and you can use it several ways. From stuffing it inside of cannoli shells, enjoying it with graham crackers, on a fresh pastry…or even eat it right off of the spoon!
This cannoli filling is a fun way to enjoy the flavors of the classic Italian dessert, without an overly complicated recipe.
Homemade Italian Recipes & Memories
My Italian great grandmother was from Sicily. Shortly before she passed away, she shared a number of her delectable recipes with me.
And with each recipe came a story. Italians are pretty wonderful with their story telling and nostalgia. So whenever I recreate a recipe from years ago, I’m filled with many great memories.
Those memories are often times filled with family, a table full of excessive amounts of food, and of course wine. Hearty laughter fills the room while little ones run around the table.
Family style meals.
You know, where the parents gather, along with the siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins — just to spend time together over food. And often times grandma is shouting “mangia. eat, eat” in the background.
Now, those seem like distant memories. The older relatives have passed away and nearly all of the younger generations have moved on to other places.
But I still miss those times together.
I believe in the importance of family meal times. And memories created while breaking bread together. This is why I am on a mission to recreate these recipes (and memories) for my little family.
Cannoli Filling Recipe
This recipe is incredibly simple to make, the little ones thoroughly enjoy helping mama with his one! Cooking is such an important skill for the littles to learn.
What I really like about making this cannoli recipe, is the simplicity of it. I’m not usually one for making a recipe overly complicated, so you can easily make this recipe without having to find fancy ingredients!
This cannoli dip is a fun take on the Italian classic dessert. I will make it every once and awhile for my husband and children to eat with graham crackers for a sweet treat.
Here are a few more varieties to try out:
- Spread this filling over an Italian pastry or on a croissant for a decadent breakfast. Served with your own homemade cafe latte.
- Use chocolate shavings on the ends of your cannoli instead of chocolate chips.
- Or use chopped up pistachios on the end.
- Make it with or without the orange zest.
Gather the Ingredients for this Recipe:
- 1 pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- zest from one orange
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- with this dip, cannoli shells are optional!
How to Make a Cannoli Filling
This recipe can be made ahead of time and can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days before it no longer tastes fresh.
However, I would not recommend filling your cannoli shells ahead of time because they can become soggy. And you definitely want the shell to be crispy.
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta cheese.
- Begin stirring in the powdered sugar a little at a time. You may not need all of the sugar if the mixture becomes watery.
- Stir in the orange zest (if using), vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.
- If using cannoli shells, you can fill them now. The easiest way to do this is by using a piping bag.
Add a little of the powdered sugar at a time. You may not need the full amount if the mixture starts to become watery.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Watkins Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla Extract, with Pure Vanilla Extract, 11 Ounce (Packaging may vary)
- Microplane 46220 Premium Classic Series Zester Grater, 18/8, Turquoise
- ALESSI CANNOLI 12 Large Sicilian Style Hand Rolled Shells Imported from Italy 2 Pack- 4oz (2)
- Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - 12 oz
- Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., Organic Powdered Confectioners Sugar, 16 oz (454 g) - 2pcs
- Kootek 42 Pieces Cake Decorating Supplies Kit with 36 Icing Tips, 2 Silicone Pastry Bags, 2 Flower Nails, 2 Reusable Plastic Couplers Baking Supplies Frosting Tools Set for Cupcakes Cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 44mg Sodium: 72mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 20g Protein: 11g